Friday, September 11, 2009

Why Running Is Cool - My Top 10

In honor of the Rochester half/full marathon this Sunday, I present my list. And yes, I am still very sad that I cannot run. I will try to attend to cheer on my fellow runners as bittersweet as it will be for me.

10) Not everyone can do it. Oh, they say they can - but I have seen my younger, thinner counterparts try to do a 5k on a whim and then stop and walk, wheezing all the way. My rule - you can always slow down, but NEVER stop. Once you stop, the momentum is gone.

9) Running lets you eat more. Granted, you cannot take this to extremes. A half hour of running only burns around 300 calories - the equivalent of a plain bagel. I am still working on conquering/balancing this one.

8) The people. I have met some great people. Runners tend to be dedicated, health conscious & kind.

7) The clothes. I don't fit into all of them yet, but the running outfits are very cute.

6) The sense of accomplishment. Nothing beats setting a PR, seeing the finish line, completing a good run. It makes all the bad runs - like when your feet feel like lead, worthwhile.

5) The atmosphere. The vibe at races/running events/groups is very motivating.

4) The health benefits. Running really increases your stamina and endurance. It can also change the shape of your body.

3) Let's face it, running is just plain cool. I used to feel like I should not say "I'm a runner." After all, I don't have the runner's slender physique and I am not fast. BUT, I have come a long way. After over a dozen races, injuries and being able to run for over 1.5 hours at a time, I do feel that I can now say "I'm a runner"

2) Running is my religion! Enough said

1) The way it makes you feel. Running is not easy. For some people it may be, but not for me. Granted, if I weighed less, it would be easier. But in the meantime, I still run. When I run, I feel strong. I may be tired and it may be a struggle, but I still feel so strong. I hope whatever your passion is that you feel strong too!

No comments: